Thursday, July 3, 2008

Jem is truly outrageous!

I see the need to post about this because it came up on David Dust's Shear Genius recaps but this show was part of my childhood. Jem was this really jacked up story about a girl named Jerrica who, along with her sister, were orphaned and left a mansion with a computer named Synergy, and an orphanage (I think). I know that Jerrica runs the orphanage, but forms a band (Jem and the Holograms) to raise money to keep the orphanage open. She disguises herself as Jem due to the machinations of Synergy (it's all in the earrings), which leads to some interesting situations.

Okay, so my memory is fuzzy on this show. I remember a hell of a lot of pink and geometric crap (thank you, '80s), and that Jerrica had a boyfriend named Rio who dated both her and Jem...and I remember him being a bit of a jerk who was too stupid to know they were the same person. Dummy.

This show resonated with me because I wanted to be a singer (still do), and so I dutifully memorized both theme songs for this show. Yes, someone thought that the first theme song (which was far more about the sophistication [ha!] of these characters and themes) was too mature and came up with some POS song with lines like "Me and my friends are Jem girls!" I hated that one, but I know it so what does that say about me?

I scrounged around YouTube to unearth some pastel-y goodness.

The first theme song:



The song that best defines the Jerrica-Rio-Jem relationship:



This is a compilation of some of the Jem and the Holograms songs:



And not one, but two of the Misfits (the main rival band led by a spoiled rich girl...kind of like Courtney Love but more likeable):




And, just for the hell of it, two of my favorite songs (Who is he kissing is #1):

Beat this, from when the black drummer left the band...but she came back and I think was put on a synthesizer (because this show was all about the multiculturalism).



Shangri-la (my favorite episode), because I apparently like the musical equivalent of drugs.



Keep in mind that, as a child of the 80s, many of my memories are wrapped up in shows like this. I loved this show, Rainbow Bright (I would do anything to get the music that came with that doll again), GI Joe, The Thundercats, The Smurfs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks to name a few. I may do a post on the Chipettes in the future.

I hope this exploration down the coke-filled hole of my childhood doesn't give you fits. I have to say I'm still a fan because the music still resonates in me.

Yes, I'm weird, but I like me that way.

2 comments:

David Dust said...

And honey, WE like you that way also.

Dammit! My roommate's computer doesn't have a media player. Talk about living in the 80's!! Wait, I'm gonna go watch a movie on BETA...

I'll have to remember to come back and watch this later.

XOXOXO

P.S. Let me guess, Rio was a Papi, wasn't he?!???.....

SailorAlphaCentauri said...

I'm pretty sure Rio was a Papi, which would explain a lot.

I have to bookmark this one myself so that I can listen to these songs when I want a multi-colored trip down memory lane.